General Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Meeting brought to order at 6:15PM
STAAR testing tips and strategies Ms. Watts presenting
READING: Read a variety of genres and for an extended time
MATH: Practice math facts
WRITING: Speak and write in complete sentences
Elaborate in discussions
Science: study notes and review materials
TALK TO YOUR CHILD’S TEACHER
Share concerns and worries
Ask how you can support your student
Ask about test taking strategies
Avoid contradictory tips
DEMYSTIFY THE STAAR
You’ve done this already!
LAY OUT CLOTHES; PACK SNACKS; DO SOMETHING FUN THE NIGHT BEFORE
UNCLUTTER THE CALENDAR
Being overwhelmed causes anxiety
BE AN ENCOURAGER
Kids get their cues from you; give them your confidence
PLAN SOMETHING FUN
Make the challenge less stressful
LaTassa Watts Literacy Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
- Science Lab needs (to be purchased)- Working on getting lab equipment and STEM purchases
- Box Tops status update- turned in 2/28/2019; $102.50; Please keep sending them to the school.
- Fun day for entire school on May 3rd, before STAAR testing; BreezeIce will provide shaved ice treat for students
5th Grade Dinner (May 3rd) & 5th Grade Farewell Party (May 20th)
RSVP will come out shortly via email; All tips students receive go towards their Farewell Party
- International Festival will take place on Friday, April 26 @ 6pm. We will need volunteers to assist to set up and clean up. Be on the lookout for the Sign Up Genius.
- PTO to replace shade structure; going with a different company with better insurance
Mr. Nieto to ask District Maintenance to check playground and surrounding area
- NRJH would like to invite you to the upcoming PTO meeting on Tuesday, April 9 in the Nolan Ryan cafeteria. Learn about what to look forward to with your soon-to-be 6th grader!
Next general meeting/election is coming up in May 21st
ALL POSITIONS are open. We are looking for committees for next year’s events.
Meeting adjourned 6:54PM